The Devon Brinsmeads decade by decade |
1690-1700
|
||
. In 1697 Parliament replaced the Hearth Tax with a new Window Tax. It was easier to enforce because the Windows could be counted from the outside. It was also easier to avoid as this house in Stanton in the Peak, Derbyshire illustrates. |
![]() Henry and Mary had four children over the next eight years:
Thus, at the end of the century the Brinsmeads in St. Giles in the Wood were Henry and Mary Brinsmead and their three surviving children Christian, aged 7, Robert, aged 4 and Henry, aged 2. We presume they lived at the farm at Dodscott, but have no proof of this. Elsewhere in the village, in 1697 Sir John Rolle of Stevenstone, Knight of the Bath donated a Tenor Bell to St. Giles church.
|
||
![]() St. Paul's Cathedral, although not complete until 13 years later, is opened for its first service on December 2, 1697. |
|||
Back to 1680 |